At The Malling School Sixth Form there are three main pathways for students to choose.
Two of these are at Level 3 and 1 at level 1-2.
Vocational Course (A bespoke Level 1 and 2 course)
IB CP (International Baccalaureate Careers Programme)
IB DP (International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme)
VOCATIONAL COURSE OVERVIEW
Our level 1/2 pathway at The Malling School is a bespoke pathway based on the needs of the individual student.
All students on the level 2 pathway will be students who did not get the GCSE grades required to study at level 3. They shall take either their English and Maths GCSE re-sits or functional skills tests, depending on their original GCSE grade and shall take courses that prepare them for their next steps, whether this is further study at college, a supported internship or employment.
Our Level 2 course is aimed at students who have not got a grade 4 or more in English and Maths at GCSE. This course is bespoke as it will depend on the student as to which level they start each course. Students will study:
•Maths (re-sit or functional skills)
•English (re-sit or functional skills)
•Employability skills (ASDAN)
•And an option course (photography, construction, hair & beauty)
IB CAREERS PROGRAMME OVERVIEW
- Currently, the IBCP is the only post-16 qualification that provides a framework allowing students to develop both vocationally and academically. The IBCP appeals to students who wish to pursue career-related studies, combining the IB’s rigorous approach to education with practical hands-on experience within the working world
- The standard IB CP student will take: 2 IB Diploma subjects, 2 CR subjects (Career related, known as BTECs and WJECs) and the IB CP Core designed to develop students holistically.
- The IBCP is particularly relevant for students who have chosen to specialise in and focus on a particular career path such as psychology, business, IT, sport, or science employment.
- It is appropriate for all students wishing to progress to Higher Education or undertake career specific training through internships, apprenticeships, technical/community colleges or direct workplace
IB CP: 5 GCSEs at grade 5 or above, including English, Maths, and any subject you would like to study.
|IB Diploma Subject
The standard IB CP student will take:
IB DIPLOMA PROGRAMME OVERVIEW
- As well as developing a broad range of skills, the programme enables students to capitalise on their strengths, studying three subjects to Higher Level, with three to Standard Level, creating opportunities to develop a second language, explore creative subjects and expand humanities and scientific knowledge.
- As part of the IB Diploma Programme at TMS students complete a Theory of Knowledge (TOK) course which develops critical thinking, essential talents in today's changing workplace and extends their learning beyond the classroom with the IB's Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) programme. Students are also required to complete an Extended Essay (EE), providing excellent preparation for Higher Education.
- IB DP students have to take a subject from each group 1-5. For their 6th subject, they can either take a group 6 subject or another subject from either group 3 or 4. Students also study the IB DP Core programme which is designed to develop students holistically.
IB DP: 6 GCSEs at grade 6 or above, including English, Maths, and any subject you would like to study.
Studies in language and literature
Individuals and societies
English Language & Literature
French Ab initio
Maths: applications & interpretations