SENCO: Mrs L Winter - Click to email
At The Malling School we are fully committed to an inclusive approach to education. All students are treated as individuals and guided and supported to reach their personal maximum potential.
To support with learning all staff are fully aware of the individual needs of students ensuring that during lessons the work is made accessible for all and objectives are achievable but challenging.
For students with identified Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) information is received from the previous school and we use this to consider a suitable support pathway for each student relating to their individual needs.
We have a clear assessment process to identify specific learning needs and a team of support staff who can deliver short term intervention programmes should these be required.
Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) works with parents and staff to ensure that a team approach to supporting our students with SEND is put into place. The SENCo tracks and monitors the progress of students with SEND and advises staff of strategies to support students in their lessons.
Please click here if you require information regarding The Malling School Specialist Resource Provision (SRP).
Useful Links recommended by TMS
- Kent Parents and Carers Together: https://kentpactnew2022.co.uk/join - Professionals who work with children who have a special educational needs and/or disability.
- Autism education: www.autismeducationtrust.org.uk - Resources and support for parents and schools for children and young people with autism.
- Kent Autistic Trust: www.kentautistictrust.org - Resources and support for parents and schools for children and young people with autism.
- Kent Resilience Hub: https://kentresiliencehub.org.uk - A resource that helps young people, parents and carers, staff and practitioners to understand emotional wellbeing and resilience
- Parent/Carer Recorded Webinar: https://youtu.be/SY4Nu48OVrE - Information and support for parents on managing anxiety.
- Dyslexia: https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/advice/children/guidance-for-parents - Information and support for parents on Dyslexia.
- Dyslexia: https://www.bbc.co.uk/parents-toolkitdyslexia - Information and support for parents on Dyslexia.
- Dyscalculia: https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyscalculia - Dyscalculia is a specific and persistent difficulty in understanding numbers which can lead to a diverse range of difficulties with mathematics.
- Dyspraxia: https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/advice/how-parents-can-help - What is a dyspraxia? Dyspraxia, also known as developmental co-ordination disorder (DCD), is a common disorder that affects movement and co-ordination.
- ICAN: www.ican.org.uk. This website offers a range of information services for parents and practitioners that provides help and advice about speech, language and communication for all school-aged children.
- AFASIC: www.afasic.org.uk. This website supports parents and represents children and young people with speech, language and communication needs. (NB: this is appropriate for all school-aged children but has a section on life after 16 so useful website for secondary school children. Also has section on applying for Disability Living Allowance and parent support forums)
- Talking Point: www.talkingpoint.org.uk. This website has useful advice for teaching staff around adapting the classroom environment and supplementing teaching approaches.
- National Autistic Society: www.autism.org.uk This website provides information about the diagnosis of autism, as well as useful strategies and advice for children who present with social communication difficulties.
- The Kent Autistic Trust: www.kentautistic.com This website provides information about the diagnosis of ASD and the local area. It provides support services for families that are tailored to individual needs.
- British Stammering Association: www.stammering.org. This website provides information and resources to support children who stammer.
- Dyspraxia Foundation: www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk. This website provides information and advice for families and school staff who are supporting a child with this diagnosis.
Useful Links recommended by our Parents
- Supporting SEN parents/carers Kent UK: https://www.facebook.com/groups/623533877705416/?ref=share
- Sunshine Support: https://www.facebook.com/SunshineSupportUK
- Neurodivergent: https://www.instagram.com/neurodivergent_lou/?hl=en
- ADHD Foundation: https://www.adhdfoundation.org.uk
- Rare chromosome and Gene Disorders: https://rarechromo.org
The Malling School is proud to be working with The Education People’s Specialist Employment Service to embed the supported employment model, adding value across all current careers provision. The contract aims to raise aspirations for SEND students and further enhance school’s careers information advice, and guidance programme. The supported employment in school’s contract will help mainstream schools across Kent support SEND students through transition and to prepare them for the world of work and into sustainable careers.
Click below to view CareerMags for inclusion