duke of edinburgh
Starting in 2021, all students at The Malling School participate in the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme during Year 9. To find out more about the award and the opportunities available, please watch the assembly video below, then parents/carers can follow the consent link to get students started.
You need to complete you first three sections (Volunteering, Physical and Skills) for three months each.
You need to pick one of these sections to complete for another three months.
Your expedition sections will be carried out through the school, but you are expected to find other activities to complete for your first three sections.
You can find lists of potential activities by clicking on these links:
Below are full programmes of weekly activities you could engage in under a theme. You’ll need to find an assessor (ask your tutor for help if you struggle to find one).
Each programme can last 3 or 6 months.
- Why not try Mrs Fay’s online art skills course? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJOLr5BXP9jZQ5f9wM2fTkg
- Music Appreciation: https://sway.office.com/lDQraicP89kBXEy8?ref=Link
- Art and Design: https://sway.office.com/rm1GyNM2IAKTBJgA?ref=Link
- Science and Technology: https://sway.office.com/o7XDUHVjO2IaDpEz?ref=Link
- Dog training: https://sway.office.com/iRzyLRsLpCxqcHS2?ref=Link
- Sign Language: https://sway.office.com/N9nvhCAGS8THbTbO?ref=Link
- Cooking: https://sway.office.com/wmZurP5bgaX5UR5D?ref=Link
- Photography: https://sway.office.com/spOyadi0oj60ouIC?ref=Link
During lockdown, volunteering is difficult, but why not try one of these?
Mentoring a younger sibling, helping with their homework each week in a subject you really enjoy.
Coaching a sibling or other family member to learn an instrument or develop another skill
Organising arts and crafts sessions or sport sessions in your garden, for someone you live with to participate in.
Show your support to key workers through the crisis projects (letter writing) https://www.thecrisisproject.com/
Help humanitarian agencies have accurate maps through tracing satellite images onto street maps https://www.missingmaps.org/
Participate in scientific research, like searching for stars, identifying species or mapping earthquakes https://www.zooniverse.org/
Volunteer for NASA, become a citizen scientist: search for undiscovered worlds, train computers to think or track comets https://science.nasa.gov/citizenscience
Rugby, Football, Netball, Handball, Fitness, Basketball, Dance, Rounders, Cricket, Athletics and many more!
If you’re interested in joining a school sports team, speak to Mr Burden